What Should I Do if Someone Flees the Scene of an Accident?

October 14, 2021

It can be a difficult situation if you are the one who is left to deal with an accident that someone else caused. Should I call the police? Do I need to give my insurance information? What should I do in this situation? These are all questions that might go through your mind when you're dealing with the aftermath of a traffic collision.

If you find yourself in this position, below are some things you should know about someone else fleeing the scene of an accident. To discuss your specific situation, contact our Ventura car accident attorneys for help today.

Try to Get as Much Information as You Can

If you can, try to get as much information about the other party (license plate number and description of the vehicle) as possible. Witnesses might be helpful in providing this information. You'll need this for your insurance company or police report that you file after the accident.

Call the Police

If you believe that you’re injured or if your car is damaged in the accident, you should call the police after a hit and run. The responding officer can take an official report and help document what happened during the collision, as well as begin the search for the driver who fled. In some cases, officers are able to locate and arrest the driver, which might help your situation.

Never Chase the Other Driver

If someone leaves the scene of an accident with you, don't chase after them. This can become a dangerous situation for yourself and others on the road. You might have adrenaline pumping, but it is best to stay where you are and call the authorities for help. It's better to wait until the police arrive and handle the matter, so that you aren't putting yourself at risk by trying to catch up with another driver.

If the Driver is Found

If police find the driver, they can face criminal charges. However, this criminal case is not enough to get you the compensation that you deserve. Instead, you should discuss a car accident claim with an experienced lawyer who knows how to protect your rights. An attorney can review the information from police officers and advise on the best course of action for you to receive proper compensation.

If the Driver is Not Found

Even if police officers never locate the driver, you should contact a car accident lawyer. You can file a claim with your own uninsured motorist policy, but this can still be a complicated process. You want legal representation no matter what type of insurance claim you need to file.

Contact an Experienced Ventura Car Accident Attorney

At the Law Office of Bamieh de Smeth, PLC, we handle hit and run cases, as well as many other types of car crash claims. Are you interested in learning more about how we can help? If so, contact us today to receive a free case evaluation.