Family Law Attorneys Handling Cases in Ventura, CA Superior Court

In California, the “Superior Court” is the trial level court.  These courts hear cases and arguments dealing with a wide range of topics, including family law cases.  If to need to go to court to get a court order or have your case reviewed and approved by a judge for divorce, child custody, child support, or any other family law matter, you will likely appear before a Superior Court.

It is important to talk to an attorney before your day in court and get legal representation to handle your case before the judge.  The Ventura family lawyers at the Law Offices of Bamieh and De Smeth practice family law in the Ventura area and may be able to represent you before the Ventura Superior Court and help you with your case.  To schedule a free legal consultation, contact our law offices today at (805) 643-5555.

Family Law Cases Handled in California Superior Courts

Many family law cases ultimately require you go to court.  Many parts of your case may require a judge to hold hearings where your lawyer will present evidence or argue motions and petitions before the court.  Even if a case can be handled mostly out of court, you will still need to take the case before the court to finalize the orders or petitions in your case.  The following are all examples of some of the most common family law cases handled by Superior Courts in California:


Depending on how cooperative each party is, a divorce case can be handled in or out of court.  In cases where both spouses are willing to cooperate, most of the case and relevant negotiations can occur outside of court, and you will need to go to court only to file paperwork and have a judge approve the agreements you have made.  In more contentious cases, most of the case could be handled before the court with a judge refereeing both sides in their disputes.  A divorce order needs to be finalized by a judge, so you will always have to go to court to complete a divorce.

Child Custody

Courts make the ultimate decision on what is in the best interests of a child and decide who should get custody of shared children after a divorce or any other time when the parents live in separate households.  Parties can attempt to handle child custody informally, but having a court issue a child custody order can set concrete terms that both parties must follow.  The courts and local agencies that handle child custody cases prefer to have set orders signed by a Superior Court judge.

Child Support

Again, parents can work out informal child support standards, but these can often be unfairly low or unfairly high and may lead to further disputes or arguments between the parties.  If the case is not resolved in court, parties may have few options to enforce child support orders and ensure their kids get the funds they need.  Going to court is the best way to ensure that your support order is followed and properly enforced.

Spousal Support/Alimony

After a divorce, a Superior Court needs to order alimony to ensure that you get the support and care you need.  If you have low income, have no job, or have other restrictions or limitations that prevent you from supporting yourself after a divorce, the court may be willing to order your spouse to pay you alimony or spousal support.  A court must examine the facts of your case and determine whether alimony is necessary and what amount is reasonable before you can receive payments.

Restraining Orders

If you are the victim of domestic violence, spousal abuse, or any other violence between you and a romantic partner, a court can order a restraining order to help protect you from your abuser.  If your children are at risk, restraining orders can also protect them from your partner, their other parent, or any other dangerous people in their lives.

Court Order Modification

If you are under the effects of any court order issued by a judge, you need to go to court to have that order modified.  Child support, child custody, alimony, and restraining orders have the full force of law as long as they are in effect.  You cannot disobey these orders without risking being held in contempt of court or facing enforcement protocols or criminal penalties.  To get these orders stopped or changed, you must file a petition with the appropriate Superior Court.

Call Our Ventura Family Lawyers for Help Filing Your Case

If you have an issue that requires the help of an experienced family law attorney or an issue that will take you before a California Superior Court, contact our Ventura family law attorneys today.  The Law Offices of Bamieh and De Smeth’s family law attorneys handle cases in Superior Court in Ventura, CA and may be able to take your case.  Call our law offices today at (805) 643-5555 to set up a free case consultation.

Ventura Criminal Defense Lawyer
Ventura Personal Injury Attorneys
Ventura Car Accident Lawyer
Santa Barbara Personal Injury Attorney
Santa Barbara Criminal Defense Attorney
California Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
California Medical Malpractice Attorney