Get To Know Monique
“My goal is to help get you through whatever trauma you have experienced. Together we can right the wrong.”
Monique is a civil litigation attorney representing survivors of traumatic events and vulnerable populations in the areas of employment, education, civil rights, and personal injury. Monique’s work encompasses all areas of civil litigation from personal injury cases such as car accidents, domestic violence, and sex abuse to broad civil rights litigation enforcing individual rights under state and federal law.
Monique takes a hands-on approach with her clients and cases. She listens and counsels clients through a difficult time, with the goal of righting the wrong they have suffered and securing just compensation. Case by case, Monique focuses on working to end discriminatory practices across all settings including education, employment, and housing, knowing that nothing changes until wrongdoers are hit in the pocketbook.
Monique’s employment law experience spans discrimination, harassment, unsafe conditions in the workplace, to wage and hour disputes and farmworker protections. In education law, Monique works to educate parents and students on their rights, to protect students from discrimination, bullying, and abuse, and to enforce the rights of students with disabilities to receive a Free Appropriate Public Education.
Prior to joining Bamieh & De Smeth in 2018, Monique worked in public interest legal settings, including California Rural Legal Assistance and Legal Aid. Monique brings an empathetic approach to her litigation practice – focusing on the client’s goals and unique needs.
Monique lives in Ventura with her husband Josh and their daughter. In her free time, Monique enjoys being with her family, friends, and puppies, playing cornhole as a member of Santa Barbara Cornhole, writing poetry, and reading a good book. She volunteers her time with numerous organizations in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties that support access to justice and equality for all. And if there’s any game in the Pac-12, she’s Cardinal all the way!
Something you will hear Monique say a lot: “That’s not right, guys. We have to do something about it!”
- $6,800,000 for 10 special needs clients abused by their special education teacher.
- $650,000 for a survivor of child sexual abuse by a police officer.
- $300,000 Title IX settlement against UCSB on behalf of student victim of sexual assault.
- $250,000 for an employee who was sexually harassed by her supervisor working for a City.
- $250,000 policy limits for a victim of a car crash left unable to walk.
What clients say about Monique:
5 stars on Yelp
“Monique is an excellent civil litigation attorney who fights for her clients. She's not afraid to take on tough cases against people in positions of power, in fact she welcomes it. She doesn't fear people in the position of power because she gives her clients back theirs. She always took the time to answer my questions big and small and to address any concerns I had. She takes care of you. Long after my case was over, she has continued to provide support to me as things have come up. Thanks Mr. Bamieh and team. I can say I had a powerhouse team that collectively helped guide close a chapter of my life that I absolutely am not looking back on.”
- California, 2015
- U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2015
- District of Columbia, 2018
- Santa Barbara Women Lawyers, Treasurer
- Women Lawyers of Ventura County, Board Member
- Ventura County Diversity Bar Alliance, Board Member
- Santa Barbara County Bar Foundation, Secretary
- California Women Lawyers, Member
- Standing Together to End Sexual Assault, Volunteer
- Times Up Legal Defense Fund, Volunteer
- Stanford Law School, 2014 – J.D.
- Stanford University, 2011 – B.A. English Literature
Areas of Practice:
- Civil Litigation
- Civil Rights
- Education Law
- Employment Law
- Personal Injury
- Revival of Childhood Sexual Abuse Claims, Summer 2020
- Published in Santa Barbara Lawyer Magazine
- Published in the Ventura County Bar Association’s Citations Magazine