Get To Know Jennifer
"My goal is to help you navigate the stress and uncertainty of your legal issue so that you feel good about the result."
Jennifer is a family law attorney based in our Ventura office. Since 2009, Jennifer has handled countless matters related to divorce, legal separation, child custody and visitation issues, parentage claims, child and spousal support claims, division of assets and liabilities, mediation, premarital agreements and post-marital agreements in Ventura, Santa Barbara and Los Angeles counties. Jennifer also serves as Chief Financial Officer of the firm and is an integral member of the management team.
Jennifer excels at being up front and clear about what clients can expect, while also being supportive as they go through the oftentimes stressful process of finding a “new normal” in their family role and personal life. She prides herself on being a well-reasoned guide who offers practical solutions while also maintaining her role as a client’s rights advocate who recognizes that sometimes you have to bring the fight to obtain what is right and fair under the law.
Jennifer is originally from Mount Shasta, California, and left the mountains for the beachy beauty of the Central Coast to attend the University of California at Santa Barbara. While living there she met her husband, Nick, who works in banking. Jennifer and Nick are raising their son Zachary in Ventura. While Zack keeps them both plenty busy, Jennifer enjoys her community involvement and professional affiliations, which include the Ventura County Bar Association, Women Lawyers of Ventura County, Ventura Barristers, Santa Barbara Barristers, and Business Network International.
In her free time, Jennifer loves being with her family, traveling, doing yoga, running, and reading. No one in the office reads as many books as Jennifer does – she is an enthusiastic member of several book clubs and reads on average 1-2 books per week. She, like Ron, is a huge 49ers fan and is one of those special Californians who loves the NHL, even when it requires wearing a heavy Flyers jersey in August.
Something you will hear Jennifer say a lot: Anything sarcastic.
Fun fact: Jennifer, Jason, and Danielle have been friends for over 10 years.
- Obtained $200,000 from property division at trial when most offered during settlement discussions was $30,000.
- Won an equal custodial timeshare at trial when custody evaluation report substantially limited client’s time with children.
- Negotiated favorable early termination of spousal support/alimony on long term marriage.
What clients say about Jennifer:
AVVO 5 stars
She’s a great lawyer!
I am an attorney myself. I went to Jennifer and she was upfront and honest at every step. She was realistic with the evaluation of my case and clear about my rights. Her prices are fair and clearly stated. It’s been a pleasure letting her handle my divorce. -Meghan
- California, 2009
- University of California, Santa Barbara – B.A. Law and Society with an emphasis in criminal justice
- Santa Barbara College of Law – J.D.
- What Criminal Law Attorneys Want Family Law Attorneys to Know,” Ventura County Family Law Bar Association (2019)
Areas Of Practice:
- Family Law
- Restraining Orders
- Named Southern California Rising Star by SuperLawyers
Top Rated Ventura, CA Family Law Attorney | Jennifer Yates | Super Lawyers
- 10 Best Attorneys in California, American Institute of Family Law, 2017-2018