Boarding School Reveals Sexual Abuse History and Cover UpJuly 30, 2021
Since 1889, The Thacher School in Ojai, California, has been considered one of the nation’s best boarding schools and has many notable alumni. However, it seems that the school’s reputation might be in jeopardy due to a report released regarding decades of sexual abuse and assault against Thacher students by faculty members.
If you suffered abuse at The Thacher School or any other similar institution, contact our experienced sexual abuse lawyers for a free and confidential consultation today.
Shocking Reports of Sexual Misconduct
Thacher officials published findings on its website in June 2021, revealing information about sexual assault allegations. Even worse, the school revealed that administrators, board members, and others at the institution worked to cover up or failed to address complaints by current and former students of possible assault.
The report was completed by a third-party law firm that dug deep into allegations and the school’s response (or lack thereof). Some of the conclusions of the report and the Thacher Board include:
- The Thacher School did not provide proper protections for students and alumni by not looking into allegations of sexual assault and misconduct.
- The School tolerated and even fostered an environment that included gender bias and other aspects that bred a culture of sexual misconduct against girls.
- The School minimized or dismissed reports of sexual misconduct.
- The School allowed false narratives regarding those students reporting sexual misconduct, which aimed to blame the victims and only provided additional harm.
- The School did not prioritize the well-being of complainants or survivors, failing to address reports to preserve the reputation of the institution.
- The School’s environment made students fear coming forward to complain of sexual misconduct.
The School named six perpetrators against students, and stated it plans to implement measures to prevent further misconduct and mishandling of complaints. This includes improving education and training regarding sexual abuse, revising policies for handling complaints and misconduct, improving Board oversight and involvement, and more.
Were You Sexually Abused?
Many Thacher students and alumni came forward to complain of abuse, and many more likely suffered serious injuries from abuse. Some injuries from sexual assault can include physical injuries, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other mental disorders, sexually-transmitted diseases, unwanted pregnancy, and more.
Abuse victims have the right to hold their abusers accountable for all the harm they caused, and Thacher students should not be afraid to come forward and stand up for their rights. The criminal process is often not enough to financially recover for all of your injuries, so always discuss a civil lawsuit with a personal injury lawyer.
Speak with a California Sexual Abuse Attorney for Help Today
The law office of Bamieh & De Smeth, PLC, is working with clients who suffered abuse at the hands of faculty or others at The Thacher School. California extended the time limits that sexual abuse victims have to file a claim, so even if years have passed, you should learn about your rights. Contact us online or call 805-643-5555 for a free case evaluation in confidence with a California sexual abuse lawyer.