Steps to Take Immediately Following a T-Bone AccidentJanuary 26, 2023
While no one wants to think that they will ever be in a T-bone accident or any other kind of motor vehicle crash, it is best to be prepared just to be on the safe side. The aftermath of a car crash can be financially, mentally, and physically overwhelming. But being prepared can help you weather the shock and stress after a T-bone accident and enable you to make sound choices to help you secure the compensation you need to recover from your physical and financial injuries.
- Check for any injury to yourself and others, including shock. Drive to the nearest hospital or call 911 if driving isn’t possible. Whatever you do, it’s important to get medical attention as soon as you can because you may have delayed injuries, such as traumatic brain injury, that may worsen if not treated promptly. Getting medical attention will also create a medical record that you can use to prove your injuries.
- Call the police. The police will create an accident report that will help you support your claim later. This report will have detailed information about the crash, from where it happened to what caused it, and details about the people involved. When talking to the police, be specific and cooperative. Never guess or speculate what happened because everything you tell them will go into the accident report.
- Do not chat with the other driver. When talking to the other driver, stick to gathering their insurance information and contact information. Do not say sorry, even if you feel that you may have contributed to or caused the crash. Admissions of fault or misspoken words can weaken your claim for compensation against the other driver.
- Collect the necessary evidence:
- Names, insurance details, driver’s license, and contact numbers of everyone involved in the crash
- The license plate number, year, and model of all vehicles involved
- The location, time, and date of the crash
- Name and contact information of the responding police officer and the accident report number
- Names and contact details of any witnesses and their statements
- Take photos and videos of the accident scene from various angles and distances. Include pictures of your injuries, other people’s injuries, damage to the vehicles and other property, the driving and road conditions, skid marks, road signs, car parts, construction signs, traffic signals, potholes, etc.
- Sign any police paperwork if needed. However, do not sign any insurance paperwork before you have discussed your case with an attorney.
- Contact a Santa Barbara car accident attorney. Your attorney will begin investigating the accident right away to preserve evidence to build your case. They will also handle all communications and negotiations with the at-fault party’s insurer and lawyer to ensure you receive compensation that will cover all your losses.
Get In Touch With an Experienced Santa Barbara Car Accident Attorney Now
To find out what our Santa Barbara car accident attorneys can do for you, contact Bamieh & De Smeth today. You can set up your free case evaluation with our Santa Barbara car accident attorney by contacting us online or calling our office at 805-643-5555.