What to Do After a Hit-and-Run Accident

April 19, 2022

Unfortunately, a lot of drivers make the decision to flee the scene of a crash for various reasons, including intoxication, lack of insurance coverage, a suspended or non-existent driver’s license, or because they’re already in legal trouble. While no one can ever prepare for a hit-and-run accident, if you do end up becoming a victim, here’s what you need to do.

Report The Accident to The Police

Besides helping you with tracking down the hit and run driver, the police can also investigate the scene and look for clues right after the crash. They will likewise create a detailed report of the crash to help substantiate your damages when you file a claim against the relevant insurance companies or file a personal injury claim.

Observe The Accident Scene and Gather Evidence

Try to remember and list down the vehicle’s model, make, plate number, the driver’s appearance, and the direction the driver went. These can help the police and your lawyer track down the driver. You should also gather pertinent evidence that you can use for your insurance or personal injury claim, including:

Get Medical Attention ASAP

Call 911 or get to the hospital immediately if you suffered serious or life-threatening injuries. Even if you don’t think you are hurt, go to the doctor as soon as you can just to make sure that you’re fine because some injury symptoms may take some time to appear. Filing a claim for damages resulting from a hit-and-run crash can be more difficult if you don’t have proper documentation of your medical treatment.

Discuss Your Case With a Ventura Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer

Your lawyer can:

Consult with a Skilled Ventura Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Now

The skilled Ventura hit-and-run accident lawyers of Bamieh & De Smeth know how to handle hit and run cases and have the resources to investigate such claims. To find out what we can do for your case, call 805-643-5555 or reach us online to arrange your free case review with our Ventura hit-and-run accident lawyer.