What to Do After a Hit-and-Run AccidentApril 19, 2022
Unfortunately, a lot of drivers make the decision to flee the scene of a crash for various reasons, including intoxication, lack of insurance coverage, a suspended or non-existent driver’s license, or because they’re already in legal trouble. While no one can ever prepare for a hit-and-run accident, if you do end up becoming a victim, here’s what you need to do.
Report The Accident to The Police
Besides helping you with tracking down the hit and run driver, the police can also investigate the scene and look for clues right after the crash. They will likewise create a detailed report of the crash to help substantiate your damages when you file a claim against the relevant insurance companies or file a personal injury claim.
Observe The Accident Scene and Gather Evidence
Try to remember and list down the vehicle’s model, make, plate number, the driver’s appearance, and the direction the driver went. These can help the police and your lawyer track down the driver. You should also gather pertinent evidence that you can use for your insurance or personal injury claim, including:
- Videos and photos of the scene, injuries, property damage, weather conditions, road conditions, etc.
- Witness statements and their contact info
- The responding officers’ names and badge numbers
Get Medical Attention ASAP
Call 911 or get to the hospital immediately if you suffered serious or life-threatening injuries. Even if you don’t think you are hurt, go to the doctor as soon as you can just to make sure that you’re fine because some injury symptoms may take some time to appear. Filing a claim for damages resulting from a hit-and-run crash can be more difficult if you don’t have proper documentation of your medical treatment.
Discuss Your Case With a Ventura Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer
Your lawyer can:
- Launch an investigation to find the hit and run driver. This is one of the most challenging aspects of hit-and-run cases. Case in point, just this January, Martin Womack, a 68-year-old homeless man in Ventura, was hit by a vehicle and died due to multiple blunt force trauma from a hit-and-run accident. The police found the vehicle two weeks after but have yet to find the driver.
- Prove fault liability when the driver is found by establishing all the necessary legal requirements to clearly show that the driver caused the crash.
- Collect supporting evidence to prove your injuries and related losses.
- Handle all communications and negotiations with insurance companies and liable parties to make sure that you get compensated properly
- Fight for you in a trial if necessary.
Consult with a Skilled Ventura Hit-and-Run Accident Lawyer Now
The skilled Ventura hit-and-run accident lawyers of Bamieh & De Smeth know how to handle hit and run cases and have the resources to investigate such claims. To find out what we can do for your case, call 805-643-5555 or reach us online to arrange your free case review with our Ventura hit-and-run accident lawyer.